Friday, 12 December 2014

#ICAN'TBREATHE


So you probably have heard about the Ferguson shooting of Michael Brown and the choking of Eric Garner. What strikes me is that the USA is known as a sort of modern day utopia yet they are clearly not as developed as its given off. Why are they the hub and perfect example of modernity and liberty when fundamental human rights are not adhered to? Racism is not a new issue, it has been here probably since the beginning, so why does it still exist? If we can create machines that can replace humans, if we can print out food, why can't we coexist with each other, no matter what race,gender,ethnicity?

It is shocking how people still have a racist mentality; it is socially damaging. As a teen who has lived in London my whole life, I've grown up with people of all different races and its great. In fact, it would be weird not seeing other races because I'm lucky enough to live in a place which promotes social cohesion.

Today, in school, my friends and I were talking about the whole ordeal. And I think being people who see no difference with other races, its just disgusting. I'm so happy I live in a city where racial integration is the norm.

America is always said to be the "Land of the free", yet the reason they have a country as a result of genocide, slavery and land theft. How are the people of America free? When a person is murdered and the murderer is consciously not charged? Set aside race, murder is murder. When a person is killed, why should their race decide if their murderer is punished? They are people stripped of life by another mans hands.

More people are being convicted and killed, I only hope the world can rise up above a hashtag and actually do something.

Amani x

No comments:

Post a Comment