Friday, 2 May 2014

"I LIKED THEM FIRST"

Bonjour mes amis!

So today I would like to talk about the phrase "I liked them first". This is a sentence I have used many times myself in the context of bands or artists that I had discovered before they made it into pop culture. I found that in todays day and age there is an almost struggle and burning desire to be unique; have your own interests. So you're constantly on the lookout for something that can become "your" thing. Once you've found that thing there is a feeling of immense pride in yourself which is diminished when you hear your favourite band on kiss fm. (This happened to me recently with the band American Authors.) 

Then,once your special thing is shared with everyone at school or in your community it just isn't special anymore. You're just another screaming fan with  a 5SOS tee shirt.
At these times the most natural thing to say to these new so-called "fans" is I LIKED THEM FIRST. Sometimes when I say this, the reaction is just a laugh and an "alright, calm down-we believe you".I normally get really annoyed at these things and I feel like I have to stop liking the band/artist/book but recently I've realised that just because other people begin to like something that I do,it doesnt mean I have to stop being a fan. It just means that they discovered something later than you. 

However this attitude is still not leaving me, I still have a tendency to scream I LIKED THEM BEFORE YOU. YOU ARE NOT A TRUE FAN. I AM. So from now on I am going to try to keep calm and just share my interests with other people. I'll let you know how it goes! Comment if you've ever felt like this

Amani xx

1 comment: